View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #136 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
This is why I keep posting that the problem isn't the method so much as it's the metric.

MPG is nowhere near total consumption. It is, however, an easily understood metric by non experts. If we want to consider total consumption - the site would need to change to a more appropriate metric which, I feel, would alienate potential newcomers.

I understand that if we wanted total consumption, we need well to wheels - but well to wheels is a bit off topic based on the OP (but a good topic either way)
That's what we get with the step we're at in terms of energy conversion, since converting gasoline to mechanical energy is almost always more efficient than converting energy from a battery into mechanical energy. What if, for instance, I get all the electricity for my EV from solar panels on my roof? Why should I have to deal with the limits of the Carnot cycle?

Anyway, in terms of site appeal, I think something that included the current energy mix of electricity sources would be the best for EV owners under an advanced tab or something. This thread reminds me of something out of the big bang theory.