View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #47 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchy21 View Post
Hey skyl4rk, I like your ambition with the Versa tail addition, and would like to see the long-term numbers on it. One area of concern is across the rear wheels. The downward slope of the skirt can have the tendency to scoop air.
Yes that is unfortunate and I don't really know why that side turned out like that. I think the other side is better. I don't recall how that happened. It would have been much better if it started at the bottom of the door and went straight across. The tail was kind of trimmed to fit then stitched together, and it involved some pushing and shoving to get it to jam fit tightly. So it was not really precision work.

I hope to have time to do some driving soon. I think I have about 30 miles on this tank of gas with the tail and the avg mpg is over 50, however that was some slow EOC driving, a lot of 20-40mph EOC. I walk or bike to work so I don't drive much, plus I work too much. But its a nice day for a drive, I may sneak out early.

I think the tail will be most helpful at highway speeds. However, I rarely choose to drive on the highway, and prefer no traffic country roads where I can play my EOC game in the hills. Maybe there will be some benefit at low speeds as well.

I still have some mods to do, a dipstick heater is in the future to help with short trip mpg, as well as some synthetic oil when I get to my second oil change. I still have not folded back the side mirrors, they are fairly aero when folded back, I just need to mount a small convex mirror somewhere to replace the big mirrors. Unfortunately the tail blocks the mounting point that I wanted to use for rear wheel rear fairings, I will have to figure something else out. I think the most effective mod for me (after the tail) will be to go to 15" wheels and large circumference tires to increase my gearing a bit.