View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #138 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
That's what we get with the step we're at in terms of energy conversion, since converting gasoline to mechanical energy is almost always more efficient than converting energy from a battery into mechanical energy. What if, for instance, I get all the electricity for my EV from solar panels on my roof? Why should I have to deal with the limits of the Carnot cycle?

Anyway, in terms of site appeal, I think something that included the current energy mix of electricity sources would be the best for EV owners under an advanced tab or something. This thread reminds me of something out of the big bang theory.
I think you and I are on the same page... Except how do you figure gasoline energy->mechanical energy is more efficient than electrical energy to mechanical (I don't actually know, I'm just curious)?

Frankly, the best metric to publish to the world, in my opinion are the same metrics published elsewhere. Making figures on this site comparable elsewhere. I like the idea of advanced metrics, however