View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
As an aside, I always put a frying pan on top of pots I boil water in. I have an electric stove and the increased weight definitely improves the contact between pot and element and so heats up faster. Also I ignore directions that call for boiling uncovered. I don't understand why they call for that? AND, say I'm making pasta- I ignore their suggested amount of water per quantity of pasta; it's always too much. By 1. using a smaller amount of water, it comes to a boil much faster 2. covering the pot with heavy pan retains heat and improves burner contact (for electrics anyway) even better than using the designated lid 3. I throw the pasta in, put the pan back on top, and turn the burner OFF. Yes, the whole cooking process is done with the burner off! It works. 4. That way I don't have to stand there and babysit it. I go off, get the mail or surf a forum for 5-10 minutes, come back to it, and it's done. The whole process is actually faster my way too, mainly from the quicker bringing to boil of the smaller quantity of water. 5. I don't steam up the kitchen very much either. Don't need to use the range hood vent- yet another power savings. And then that doesn't draw my warm heated indoor air and throw it outside- yet another savings. Domino effect!