View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter7307 View Post
As an aside why are electric jugs not better insulated?
The one I have is about as hot to touch as the contents are.
Maybe a combination of thermos and electric jug would work.
Any thoughts?
I think that insulating it wouldn't save that much, since the jug is used for quick boiling, not for holding hot water for a longer time. Maybe I'll do an experiment with my kill-a-watt-oid and see how much electricity is really needed to boil the same amount of water in the microwave, in an electric kettle, and in an electric kettle with a blanket wrapped around it. I'd also like to see how much gas I use for boiling on the stove, but the gas company has the key to my meter :/

Like you all mentioned, I try not to boil more water than I need. My electric jug has a minimum of 0.5 liters, but I usually pour slightly less when boiling water for 1 cup. I also more or less know how much is need for 2 cups. I've told the Wife about all this and she also tries to do the same, but my Dad-in-law just pours in water without looking (usually 3-4x too much), turns it on and goes somewhere. By the time he gets back the water is barely warm, so he pours in more and boils again, eh I think a good idea would be to draw lines on the water gauge on the side and number them: 1 cup, 2 cups, etc. Make it big and red, darnit!!

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread