View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Did a test, here's what I got:
I boiled 500ml of room temperature (18*C) tap water in an electric kettle, in the same kettle while holding a fleece blanket around it, in the microwave, and in a small pot on the stove.
Kettle: 1960 watts, 3 minutes, used 58Wh.
Kettle with blankie: 1960 watts, 3 minutes, used 57Wh.
Microwave: 1360 watts, 6 minutes, used 109Wh.
Stove: 6 minutes.

Comments:
Kettle with blankie: After the first boil I poured out the water and waited 20 minutes for the kettle to cool down. During the second boil I held a blanket around the sides of the kettle. As expected didn't really help. After the 3 minutes, the sides of the kettle were barely luke warm.
Microwave: The water was in a Pyrex glass cup. The 1360 watts includes extras like: dispay (3W), light (40W), turntable and fan (?W).
Stove: Read in the stove's instruction that the burner is 58% efficient. Found a way to open the box with my meter, but it didn't budge during the test, so I either used less than the meter's resolution of 0.0001 cubic meters, or the stream was too weak to overcome the meter's internal resistance. Maybe a test with boiling 5 or 10 liters would give something?

The outcome is clear: just keep boiling in the electric jug, as I've been doing. I was kind of hoping the microwave would be more efficient for a small amount of water, but it appears that even without the parasitic loads it won't work. Maybe a newer unit would be more efficient?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread