View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #111 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
For a while now, I really haven't been using the scangauge to track MPG. The problem I have is that when I have a short pulse followed by engine off coasting, the scangauge shuts off and throws my numbers off. It also takes the computer a long time to reboot when I switch back to run. This further throws off my numbers. Anyway, Darin seems to think that this is hurting my mpg. So, he finally convinced me to install my mpguino I've had for a few weeks now.

So, I popped off the glove box panel and went to work. The wonderful thing about the mpguino is you only have to hook up 4 wires, and two of them are power. That leaves you with just two wires to find in the mess, and with a wiring diagram or ECU pinout, its pretty easy. For my setup, I didn't cut any wires. I used an exacto knife to strip off some insulation and wound the mpguino wires around that area.

I still don't have an enclosure for it, but that'll come along shortly. I'm also still using the scangauge to measure load, and coolant temp and stuff. Here is the current dash setup.