View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
My idea is taking any of the Honda shaft drive motorcycles, but mostly the CX500 and putting a 6hp 48V golf cart motor in there running inline with the shaft, I still need to dig up the gear ratio to make sure my plan would really work but if it does then I would figure $100 for the motorcycle, $150-200 for the used motor, $150-300 for a controller, $500-600 for the 4 new 12v deep cycle batteries, $50-100 for a used charger (all prices based on Ebay) but the hard part of the plan is golf cart motors have an open end without a support bearing on the shaft, as they use the bearing in the axle, they also have a shaft with splines on the inside of the shaft, the drive shaft on the motorcycle also has splines on the inside end of the shaft, so I would need to make a short stub shaft with those two spline sizes on it to mate the two together and it would have to have a bearing support around it that the motor can bolt to, not sure on the exact cost of making this but I'm hoping if I made up 5 or more to get the cost down to $300 each, my brother is currently in mechinest school and I know how to weld and run mills and laths so we are hoping to have a better idea how to make that splined shaft in the coming months.
The Honda CX500 is a larger motorcycle with alot of space around the engine and a frame that seems heavy enough for the batteries, they are also complex enough engines that people tend to give up on them as projects when the engine needs work.

Last edited by Ryland; 05-07-2009 at 05:05 PM..