View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
blackjackel
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '05 toyota corolla LE
90 day: 28.91 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to blackjackel Send a message via MSN to blackjackel Send a message via Yahoo to blackjackel
New personal record: 632 miles on 1 tank. 48 MPG in my Auomatic 05 Corolla

Hi guys, just wanted to let you guys know that I broke my personal record of 514 miles per tank and got 632 miles for my 13 gallons!

I know that it's bad to do cause the fuel cools the fuel pump to run out of gas but I wanted to see what it was like (I've never run out of gas, lol) so I had a fuel can in my trunk ready and I ran out of gas at exactly 632 miles on my tank.

The Scanguage was INCREDIBLY accurate as to when I Was about to run out of gas, I ran out within 2 miles of when it said I was going to run out, and withing something like plus or minus one minute of when it said I was going to run out.

By the way, 632 miles on 13 gallons comes out to 48+ miles a gallon.

I think if I had done it ALL highway I would have averaged something like 58 miles a gallon but them city miles kill my mpg :/

The downside was that I had to do 50 miles per hour the entire time, so I was mostly in the slow lane on the freeway the whole time.

Just for fun, I ran a cost analysis to see how much money I saved on that tank had I had a stock car driven normally, and I'm bad at math so please correct me if I'm wrong:

632 miles devided by 29 (epa combined estimate of a 05 corolla) comes out to 21.8 which is how many gallons I WOULD have needed to drive 632 according to the EPA.

Subtract the amount of gallons I ACTUALLY used 21.8 - 13 = 8.8
This number is the gallons that were saved using my driving techniques and car modifications.

Multiply 8.8 by 2.30 (the cost per gallon that I paid) that comes out to: 20.24

There you have it folks, I saved $20.24 on that tank of gas.

Now I thought I'd calculate the amount of time I WASTED in getting this result, which would be the amount of time between driving 65 miles an hour (speed limit and EPA testing speed) again please correct me if I'm wrong.

632 miles devided by 75 = 9.7 (this is the hours it would take to drive 632 miles at 75mph)

632 miles devided by 50 = 12.6 (hours driving at 50 mph)

12.6 - 9.7 = 2.9 hours (this is the amount of time I wasted getting this result)

So 2.9 hours devided by $20.24 comes out to $6.98 per hour. I saved $7 an hour doing this. This is damn close to minimum wage and totally worth it for me

In conclusion:

Tank size: 13 gallons
Distance Traveled: 632 miles
MPH (speed): 50 (on freeways)
MPG (miles per gallon): 48
Money saved: $20.24
Time wasted: 2.9 hours
Money per hour saved: $7