View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Re: "buy american"

That list above tells me that it doesn't matter if you're buying Ford, Chevy, Toyota or Honda - you're still buying "mostly" american with any choice.

Also re: "buy american" in general
It is stupid. Get out of that mentallity. You want to push canadian cars out of your markets, you'll be paying more for beef and lumber in scale so large it affects your grocery and housing costs (these are just a couple examples). "buy american" didn't work in the depression, it won't work now. Let me reference Ben's "no more corn syrup" thread - a "buy american" policy on sugar drove your sugar prices up to the point that health-diminishing high fructose corn syrup took over your grocery stores. (I didn't mean for this to devolve into a politics conversation... but i suppose that's what the title post is about).

Does anyone know if the Japanese policy has people replacing their whole cars, or just swapping to new motors? I know we get a huge influx of motors from japan (love it!), so i wasn't sure if the japanese were just swapping motors to keep up with the regulations.