View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
don-vee
Mechanic of DOOM

Send a message via AIM to don-vee
Yep, that's what this thread is all about I suppose. If people didn't want to read about a Slant 6, they'd switch to another thread.
Anyway, one big reason I was thinking of going with the 2bbl is that I do a lot of hauling and some occasional towing. I was thinking if I found a 2bbl with small primaries, and I don't stomp on it a lot, I may get even better mileage than the 1bbl currently on there while I wasn't hauling stuff. I plan on the tuneup thing. I am a huge fan of Conrad caps and rotors. Excellent QC, nice heavy brass terminals, never went wrong with 'em. And I'll totally check on hem plugs you recommend.
The engine was replaced at some point, so I'm not quite sure of the internals. It sure sounds like solid lifters to me. The roller rockers were just a pie-in-the-sky idea. If I stumbled upon them at a swap meet, fine, but I'm not gonna go chasing them down.
The timing set is already on the list of things to do. The other stuff I'll have to check on.
The transmission is, indeed, a 727. If it's not a lockup, I intend on replacing it at some point with one. There's a boneyard near me with scores of trucks and vans, and their trannies go for $35 a pop. Not bad. So, when I find one, I'll freshen it up with a shift kit to reduce the wasted energy between shifts. also would be nice for hauling.