View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #67 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
no-no

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
From my experience adding lift in general is a no no. I used to have a hot rodded 84 Ford LTD. I didnt add lift but at steady speeds above 90 or so the steering would become very light and you could feel the nose up attitude the car was taking as It tried to push its brick like body through the air. High HP V8 with the stock 6cyl suspension. Lesson learned it made for a very unstable ride. And yes with enough power a cinder block will fly but that becomes more a function of thrust to weight rather than aerodynamic lift if my thinking is correct.

Yeah,lift is like the plague,to be avoided at all cost.The bummer is,that for human packaging,cars have ended up with shapes,which because of the way they divert flow over,around,and under the car,low pressure areas arise which induce lift,which increase geometrically with speed.------ In the 1970s-80s,Dr.Alberto Morelli developed a car form of low drag and zero lift.So since then,it hasn't been necessary to have lift,although if you don't respect Morelli's work,well then you're stuck with lift.-------- The palliative has been spoilers,front and rear.They would have made a big difference on the LTD.---------- And yes,the cinder block example is thrust-to-weight.You can do it,but today most would argue the folly of it.Some carmakers not only went with flying barn doors,they've gone ahead and put the barn on wheels.You may have seen a few of 'em.Kinda like a cinder block when you think about it.