View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypermilingNoob View Post
I do not have photoshop, However I DO have paint My attempt will be really really crappy, but since there are no other entries I will post mine for everyone's entertainment:
I think that a blunt curved nose would be better, because this doesn't "force" a stagnation point -- it will just flow in the most natural direction. Also, the angle up on the underside of the boat tail looks a little too steep.

I don't think that lowering it helps the Cd -- if it gets too close to the ground (less than ~6") it increases drag substantially. All the super mileage (solar) cars have very tall (and skinny) wheels. The only thing lowering does is make a very small reduction in frontal area.

Grill blocks and surfaces that deflect the air to the sides are pretty hard to show in profile... It might help to include a reshaped trailing side of the front wheel openings, like what the original Insight has? Also, side exhaust vent for the engine cooling (like what the Maybach does) would help address some of the internal air flow.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/