Thread: Eco-Shaving?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
NiHaoMike
Master EcoModder

I just use a disposable razor and plain water. Note that the razor itself only accounts for a small carbon footprint. The really bad stuff is the shaving cream that puts HFCs into the atmosphere when it's used. (HFC-134a has a GWP of 1400! The HFC-152a used nowadays is much better at only 122, but that's still 122 times as bad as an equivalent amount of CO2!)

The interesting part is that at Texas A&M University, a large percentage of environmentalists shave their legs. (Yes, I'm one of them.) The reason is because it gets hot in Texas, so shaving your legs keeps you cool, so you don't have to run the A/C as much, which saves energy! Also note that Jennie Chen (the world's best hypermiler - an Aggie!) shaves her legs in order to do better in hypermiling, and not just by reducing A/C use either. By shaving your legs just before driving, it puts you into a better mood when driving, which really helps MPG regardless of the weather!

And then there's waxing, but it's expensive.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...