View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Hit the EV conversion motherlode

In light of recent events involving my proneness for injury involving my finger (I still have all of them), a table saw, my mother's motorcycle, my ankle, my mother's motorcycle's muffler, and my leg...I've been perusing CL for lightweight auto bodies and anything else useful in an EV car conversion. It rains here a lot, and I'm carrying computers around all the time, so I've reconsidered making my own forkencycle and decided to pursue a car instead.

A couple days ago, I found this on CL. If the link is gone it's a $500 72V electric "heavy duty golf cart material handler" with an ADC a89-4001 motor that was allegedly used at a GM plant to transport employees, toolboxes, and welders.

My girlfriend reminded me that we need to be saving up for a house, and after agreeing, I decided to compromise by offering $300 for the thing (I didn't expect the seller to accept the offer), and it flew!

Instead of going to fetch it when I expected to, I spent the whole day fixing the lights on my father's dolly trailer, and getting a temporary inspection sticker. The next day (yesterday) I set off on an epic journey to Grand Island NY. There aren't too many places in New York State that are farther from Binghamton than this island I hadn't heard of up until a few days ago.

On the way I saw some pretty cool stuff

And after about 4 hours of driving, I got the loot:

After another 4 hours and an average trip 18mpg on my father's '00 V8 Tundra, I arrived at my parents house to take a couple photos and drive it up and down the street.

That motor almost looks smaller than the hydraulic pump motor I ripped out of the junkyard forklift, just rated at a higher voltage.

Step 2: Get a host car.

P.S. It's been an epic last couple of days, so I felt inclined to make an equally epic post - sorry it's so verbose.