View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #82 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvos39 View Post
Thanks for info on the Ninja. It looks like on the picture that maybe a job of covering part of the front wheel could already assist in lowering the Cd. On my Burgman I am trying now to divert the air away from the opening above the front wheel. I assume your Ninja is water cooled? So maybe that could also work for you. I let know how it works on my FE.
The fact that my ninja 250 is watercooled is why i need to figure out the best frontal design as to maintain proper airflow over the radiator to keep the bike cool.

My first approach may be to design a better front fender to fully enclose the front wheel, and divert air off to the fairing. However, i think it would be better to design a fairing that extends infront of the front wheel anyway, so that air always flows over it smoothly. Then i may design coned shaped air inlets that will let air flow through the radiator.

This is why i am working in solidworks to come up with the best design. I can run wind tunnel testing on my designs in this program as see exactly where i need to make improvements. Its a very complex program, and im only a beginner at it. I do feel that its going to be time well spent.

Its important to note that a lot of the drag is because of the inefficiently designed rear of the bike (including my body as part of it). I think i will improve miledge if a tail is installed on the bike.