View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kismet
Tinker

OK.
Park it. Don't put $ into a non-running, case-cracked, gawd-knows-what-else 27 y/o scooter. Hang on to it. Advertise for another passport (C70-C90), running or not, in craig's list. Haggle and buy inexpensively. Figure @ $100 for title search and license from State. Tires and tubes? figure @ $60..get Michelins if you can. Gotta have a battery, even a dead one for scooter to run...it acts as a resister. A good battery will let you look for a working headlight...even if you have to score the back of the old off and put in a 6v bulb. Run without battery?=pops the headlight. Battery...probably under $20.

So...whattaya got? "X" dollars for purchase, $100 for title and license, $60 for tires and tubes, $20 for battery, about 8$w/shipping for new plug. That's @ $200 plus cost of second machine...and you STILL don't know what is wrong with the machine in the first place.

They are simple...mostly. Points, plug, coil...pretty back to basics. You get into the internals, as with your current Passport, and you get more expensive in shop time and parts. But the part's bike may save a bunch of money as you tinker to find out what is wrong with the as-yet unfound new scooter.

I'm 180 pounds and mine goes up to 40 on a flat, 42 on a slight decline, down to 20 on a moderate hill. Windscreen does not make you more aerodynamic. Think 'sail' into the wind.

Big ole refridgerator rack with hose clamps on the back makes it much better for carrying stuff. Get a gym bag and use wire ties or GB ties to hold it on. Works a charm.

I'd stay away from chinese stuff for the time being. Symba? made Honda engines for these for years...may still. Lifan has been given good reports.

But...look at the dollars and the return on investment, before you do anything. If it is a toy you want to screw with and can afford, fine. If it has to be cost effective...consider carefully the time, money and labor, plus frustration you will invest...with uncertain resale value, should that time come.

Good luck.

Kis