Thread: Ben's Citicar
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #120 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
The vinyl roof on the Citicar is very old and torn up.

I peeled the rest of the vinyl off. The roof is cracked on both sides from somebody using standard rivits instead of the fancy ones that spread out into "legs" when you squeeze them.

I am working right now to clean up the adhesive on the roof, and apply new vinyl.

Also also stuck my head through the motor compartment with a little mirror, and sure enough, the motor is stamped with a 6 HP mark!
I would get some plumber PVC cyclolack welder to fix up the roof, if the cracks are wide a syring and a couple lego blocks do wonders

That motor is about as good as it gets for a Citicar, it should work nicely and get you up around 40ish once you get everything straight, lubed and working nice. The nice part with that type of axle is that you can upgrade the motor unlike the terrell motor axle combo.

I think some have gotten that motor up to 60 volts safely, a little advance and trimming along with a more powerfull fan can give you a boost. You just have to watch temperature. Also your 2nd gear becomes much more usefull at 30v since you can go 25mph as opposed to 21mph. If I had the original Citicar and not my commuta I would add a couple double battery boxes hung off the bumpers front and back to fit another 4 batteries in addition to what you have, perhaps a future upgrade?

Also there have been a couple folks with the original citicars that have trailer hitches, add a little light snowmobile trailer or motorcycle trailer and you have a cheap pickup truck

Lets see if you beat me to the energy fair.