View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
LeanBurninating
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
Well, yes and no.

Not all diffusers always curve upwards towards the back of the car, and also the fins are often times angled relative to each other in one way or another. They are not always straight.

The fins will add frontal area to the car, but only the leading tip of them. The side of the fins that you would see from the front of the car are not working as drag, because the "channel" that the air is traveling through, while one side is pushing the air horizontally, the other side is "pulling" it in the same direction, and the overall distance between the sides of the channel is increasing as the air travels rearward, while the pressure of the air is dropping.

Also keep in mind that the drawing I made is kind of an extreme case and they wont actually be angled that much, I dont think.

Like I said, theoretically this thing should work great but I guess we will have to see if it is really worth anything for our applications. The pictures you saw of the yellow corvette, the c6r, and similar applications work to reduce drag of the car so much that it makes the wing on top of the car more effective for producing downforce. Of course this is while they are cornering at over 100 mph, but still. Its rad.

Thanks
John