View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
CA_HX_5Spd
EcoModding Lurker

Sipper - '98 Honda Civic HX
California HX owner

Hi guys/girls I just purchased an HX 5 speed and wanted to introduce myself.

I commute about 70miles/day to work and needed something other than my truck to get me around. It was either a TDi (the reliability issues turned me off) or the HX. Both were hard to find in 5 spd but finally found one that was stock!

I pulled the scangauge from my truck, installed it on the HX and adjusted the motor displacement. On the freeway im driving about 60-65mph no traffic. My last half tank I drove 65% freeway/35% city with AC on 80% of the time (I couldn't wait to see my MPG!) and got a disappointing 32mpg. I also recently smogged it and it was running rich according to the smog tech. It passed, but it was a few points below failing.

According to the service records, part number 36531-P2M-A02 was replace in late 06, I am assuming this is the 02 sensor.

Im wondering,

Do I have an expensive 02 thats about to die? That will totally kill the $$$ savings of finding an HX. The scangauge says at 60-65mph w/ 15-18 TPS gets me 45-60mpg.

Maybe Im jumping to conclusions but I will post an update when I'm finished with tank #2 which will be 80%-90% highway

Looking forward to learning/contributing!