View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
binarycortex
LurkoModding Ecker

new beetle - '98 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullockracing View Post
I slowed from my usual 9 over the speed limit cruise to a 1 over the speed limit cruise. I didn't get a rash, so I'll keep doing it. My method was still 9 over the speed limit up to 45 mph (34 in a 25, 44 in a 35 etc). At 45, I change to 1 over, which keeps my average speed up into a more efficient range, without the larger drag from speeds over 45. This didn't work in my Mustang, but it did in the new ride...

I hypothesize that the larger engine in the Mustang was not affected by the relatively small differences in drag. At cruise rpms, the motor probably had more than enough torque to push the car, so variances between 55 and 70 had little to no effect, since long cruises never generated significant changes in FE.

In a larger (wetted area) car with a smaller engine, such as the Fusion, the difference is greater.
Try doing the speed limit everywhere, you will probably pick up more MPG's especially with that gas sucking V8. Keep in mind, the slower the engine turns, the less fuel it uses. So as long as you are in the high gear you'll save gas at slower speeds, provided you aren't lugging the engine.

Quote:
When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -Buckminster Fuller