View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
LeanBurninating
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
I am almost positive that you use regular motor oil in the tranny. I have it in mine. It makes me really fast. lol.

And the seafoam stuff... yeah it can be used in a variety of ways it does seem a bit gimmicky. But its pretty easy to use, what I did is I let my car idle, popped the hood, pulled a vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator thing (I can show you a pic if you want) and used the vacuum line to "sip" up about half of the can, which is kind of a lot maybe. But whatever. You have to be careful cause if you dunk the line, the motor will die. Its a trick to suck up as much as possible, as quickly as possible, without killing the motor. By the time you get to 1/2 a can left or thereabouts, you should have some white smoke coming out of your exhaust. Dunk the line, kill the engine, and let it sit. The longer the better. I let mine sit for almost a full 24 hours.

Then when you start it up, run the engine hard until it stops smoking. Running an engine hard while it is cold is never a great idea but in this case its important to blast out all that gunk while you have the chance.

It cleans out your vacuum system and your heads and your valves and your compression chambers and stuff. Good stuff to clean. My motor made TONS of smoke. Smoked out the whole street. The neighbors get angry haha but the smoke comes from dirt that your engine is burning. Good!

I did it again a couple months later and it made less smoke. I think its great to do every long now and then.

I also like to use the pyroil engine cleaner stuff once in a very great while before you do an oil change. You pour it in and let the engine idle with this stuff in the oil for like 5 minutes and it helps clean out that side of the motor. Just make sure you allow plenty of time to drain that old batch of oil out and maybe run a little bit of fresh oil through the motor to make sure as little of that pyroil stuff is left.

I hope you find these tips useful, I am not a professional mechanic but I do all of my own work on my cars like clutch jobs and everything and my friends are all mechanics. So take my advice however you chose.

Have fun!

EDIT: Also, I just remembered, see if there is any way to diagnose your MAP sensor. It also plays a role in determining air to fuel ratios, and one time some punk civic kid told me that replacing your MAP sensor is good for gas mileage... but who knows. I never did. This could be your problem but I could be way off.

Last edited by LeanBurninating; 05-13-2009 at 03:37 AM..