View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I've been lurking here ever since coming across Ben's Metro thread 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I had been doing some research on this topic too. Seems like a great way to rescue a v6 sixties mustang convertible. I can see it now, where the 289 badge would normally go you get a little emblem that says "DCV". Plus you don't have to pay for or sacrifice an actual 289.

Most of the reading I've done was focused on early 50s pickups. Particularly a '51 Chevy as I found one in decent shape on the web. My thought was the truck suspension would be better suited to handling a battery box in the bed, and also that the wooden floor bed would provide easy access to the undercarriage if another battery box replaced the gas tank.

The truck is heavy of course but it has roll up windows and very few electrical accoutrement. I think they sell disc brake upgrades too. Maybe not that heavy once you pull the old drive train.
i assume the "v6" is a typo, but i like the sound of your other ideas

i would love to see a "classic" EV. i would like to do an old ford falcon or falcon-ranchero. smaller, but classic.

i do think a type of on-board generator would be worth it, though

there are multiple places you can shed weight on old iron.

-removal of large iron block motor (ever picked up just the intake manifold from an old car/truck? damn heavy!)
-front fenders/hood trunk lid can be used as molds to make thinner fiberglass replacements. sell originals to re-coup costs
-same with bumpers. mold fiberglass over a lighter section of box steel (for some crash protection)
-replace back windows with lexan
-lighter seats