View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm View Post
Also, accidents are all about speed differences. Two cars driving at each other at 40mph, will do more damage than two cars who bump into each other, with one traveling 70mph and the other at 65mph in the same direction.
Rear end collisions and side swipes are both relatively rare and cause relatively little damage (even with large speed differences)
Side impact and head on collisions, roll overs, and collisions with objects are all more common and more deadly. Driving slower will reduce the risk of all of these types of accidents as well as reduce the severity if they do occur.

Worse still, since the relation of force and velocity is not linear, a crash at 70 has four times the force as a crash at 35.

I would much rather have several fender benders because of a speed differential than just one accident at high speed. Because at high speed, one accident is all you are gonna get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?