View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #117 (permalink)
Hugh Jim Bissel
EcoModding Lurker

Connie - '00 Kawasaki Concours

Good Vibe-rations - '03 Pontiac Vibe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Raine View Post
ok, i just had an idea after reading this. i was going to suggest the "4x4 front axle driven by electric motor" idea again (for the s-10, with the existing drivetrain going to the rear), but i got to thinking.....

hook it to a transfer case instead. find a transfer case from a 4x4 s-10 (and some parts off the 4x4 transmission). hook the electric motor to the output that would normally go to the front wheels. shift transfer case into 4x4 and transmission into N to drive on electric only. that would make a 1 speed electric for around town. shift transfer case back into 2wd to drive on gas-only.

i don't know, i may be way out in left field, but thought i would throw it out there anyway.
Had a similar but different idea from left field: Use a transfer case, but the other way round: hook where the motor would normally go to the s-10's rear wheel driveshaft, then the Merc diesel to the xfers front wheel driveshaft, and an electric motor to the xfers rear wheel driveshaft.

You could then use the transfer case's shifter to choose between electric only (2hi) both electric and diesel (4hi), and 4low, since it's backwards, would give you a super high range for the highway.

The easiest way (ha ha!) to use a transfer case like that would to have the diesel in the bed, and the electric motor running through your current s-10 transmission. You'd loose some of your bed space, but I think you were talking about covering your bed anyway, and this way, you'd still be able to tow long distances, unlike with my first thought, which was turn the Merc into a pusher trailer and convert the s-10 to electric.

The placement of the diesel in the bed is for 2 reasons: The electric uses the existing transmission; to line things up correctly to use the transfer case in the above mentioned manner. (plus there's just something about a rear engined truck: I've pondered (though never seriously considered doing) putting a front-wheel drive engine, drivetrain, and wheels in the back of a pickup to replace the rear wheels and drivetrain.)

Totally out of left field, but might spur some different ideas too.

Last edited by Hugh Jim Bissel; 05-13-2009 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: clarity and additions