View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #71 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripp323 View Post
Ok. You say " the lift can not be enough to offset the added drag, by definition" and you are the expert. But then how does a plane take off? Obviously you can generate enought lift using a wing at higher speeds. Your point about loss of traction is well taken. But put that aside for a sec - say we are on the Bonneville Salt flats and I want to lighten my prototype high-mileage vehicle - at some speed couldn't we use lift like a plane about to take off? I may have trouble controlling this - but if I control lift so that I still have enough traction to keep moving forward? Sorry to challenge your paradigm - hope you will keep an open mind for this curious newbie question.
At Bonneville,weight is your friend.If you lose traction at speed and go sideways,there is a very good chance you'll be airborne.If you land on your side and barrel-roll,that will be the last drive you'll ever take.The centrifugal forces will tear your organs loose and they'll end up in your feet and mouth.It's a horrible way to go! If your fortunate,you'll get your parachutes out in time to keep you straight down course 'til you grind to a halt.--- Forget about rolling resistance reduction by unloading them with a lift device.We don't want to see you at the morgue.--- Get the best LRR tires you can find and live with them.Emphasis on "live."