View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #1227 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Darin, you are versatile. Hey! I need something soldered! Hey, I need someone to sail a giant boat! Hey! I need someone to make an electric car for $150.

Oh, I finished etching the mosfet/diode side of either the Joe's or Adrian's controller. hmm... I'm not sure who's it was. The other side is almost no etching with this new layout. Mostly just a huge ground plane. It also has the benefit of making 3 ounce copper have the current carrying capacity of 6 ounce copper. And it's very easy to lay down extra solder or to solder copper wire to the bottom to help with current carrying on thinner copper boards.

Also, all the capacitors are on one side, but I'm ordering larger ones, so the total ripple current rating will be almost identical to 24 of the other capacitors. The same ESR too. In bulk, I think this way will save maybe $10 or $15 too. I would take a picture of the newly finished etch, but the batteries are recharging.

Does anyone have any mu metal sheet or foil laying around? I would like to enclose the control section in mu metal to protect it from radiated EMI. The EMI shouldn't be getting through the cables because there is optical isolation between the power section and the control section. Man, that control section is going to be quiet.... Toooo quiet.... maybe sheet steel will be good enough.