View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Radiator relay/sensor question

While fooling around under the hood yesterday I found a relay/sensor(?)

It's a plastic box with a metal cage on one side. Inside the cage are a spiral and a resistor(?). The module is mounted in a hole at the top left of my radiator, with the metal elements facing (almost touching) the rad. Two cables connect to the box, one with 4 wires to the top and one with 2 thicker wires to the bottom.

I didn't have time to open the box, but I did check resistance between the wire tabs:
between bottom '1' and top '4' is 1000 ohms,
between top '1' and top '2' is 150 ohms,
between top '1' and top '3', and between top '2' and top '3', are both 75 ohms.
Bottom '2' doesn't appear to be connected to anything. I believe that when hooked up, the bottom '1' connects to the '+' of the battery (the mass in my car appears to be '+', not '-').

Can anyone help me understand what this is and how it works? Is this the thermostat for my fan? BTW, my fan is supposed to be 2-speed, 1 turns on at 95*C (or 85*C with A/C on), 2 at 105*C. The fan has a 2-wire connector, but doesn't hook up directly to this module.
I'd like to know how this works, hoping I can tap into the right places for a cabin LED and grill openning motor.

Thanks,
Adam

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay1.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	3468   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	3469   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay2.jpg
Views:	1368
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	3470  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread