View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #49 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
Typically whenever I have seen a motorcycle engine dropped into a car chassis they get worse mileage than before(either when more engine volume is added or when its less). That said they are usually lighter than car engines but a little bit of weight savings at the cost of engine efficiency is not a good trade. If you are aiming for more power thats a good thing because typically bike engines produce more power, at the cost of efficiency, but still gain in weight reduction.
Unless he goes with a 2 cylinder 2 cycle turbo 660cc front wheel drive motor from a Kei car like my daihatsu move, with the associated CVT transmission they get 50mpg and the van weighs 2100lbs, also the motor and all other associated parts bolt out as one single unit including wheel ends and could be easily dropped in since there is little in the dash needed to run them. Also the motors weigh significantly less than the insights motor and drivetrain. They are also compatible with a CAT and have pollution controls. The entire motor and associated components fits in a significantly smaller engine bay than the insight has.

Worth a look if he can find a junked out FWD Japanese mini truck, kei car or kei van.

Also Isuzu diesel motors "should" fit in there, available overseas are several Isuzu diesel pickups that net over 50mpg and domestically the old Chity Chevettes had a small Isuzu diesel that could net over 50mpg (manual trans) in a bricklike chevette.

I think there are options but a lot of work is ahead. And I do agree with his initial rant, its more accurate than most rants I read.

Cheers
Ryan