View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
what are your goals (range/speed)?
I plan to achieve 45mph max and hoping for something like a 20-40 mile range, but I think this could go higher. It's going to be a simple around-town car that I would need at minimum to do a 20 mile round trip at best, but I would like to go a little further if I think of other errands to run on that worst-case scenario trip.
Quote:
So what are the Volt and Amp ratings on the motor? Also, how much does the vehicle itself weigh, how much hauling load is it rated for and what is it's maximum rated speed at 72V? How many Amps is the Controller rated for, and does it have a variable Voltage or a single 72V rating?
The motor is rated at 36-72V, 6 HP, 27 HP peak. Don't know the amperage.

I have no clue what the vehicle weighs, its pretty light. I'd guess less than 1000 lbs. It is NOT very fast, but this is in part due to the tiny little wheels, and the fact that it was designed to run indoors at a manufacturing plant - it's not supposed to go fast. I took it up an incline and it did not do well - it slowed down considerably, but it did still make it eventually. I hope this means the batteries are still in okay shape.

About those batteries... they are all 6v, so this thing was mis-advertised on CL (although I don't blame the guy). The motor is running at its rated 36, so I don't know how it will act with 72, nor do I know what I'll do about the battery situation.

I haven't taken a look at the controller - one thing I know is that there are (as TomEV mentioned) 3 "speeds" based on pedal position, and 3 corresponding coils under the seats that get VERY hot.

Quote:
Any news? Has the Great Tear Down begun? Found a recycler to take the bones off your hands and recoup some of the cost?
I've actually been unusually busy lately making money or whatever - some old BS :-P In light of my slightly unfortunate battery diuscovery, I'm going to wait to tear it apart until I:
1.Get a better look at the controller and find out if it has a voltage rating and/or a governer on it and get that removed.
2.Get more batteries and run it with more batteries on it to see how fast it goes

I'm still looking for a host car, but no rush on that.
more to come,
will