Thread: Dune buggy?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Dune buggy?

In light of Rkcarguy's recent build thread, and in light of working "co-op" for my grand father(mechanic) I'm considering building something like the Ariel Atom.

My grand father has a chassis that he is willing to part with and its at most 600 lbs with everything already on it.

That said its got to be sanded and rebuilt partially. But I'm thinking of dropping a Toyota 4AGE silver top 94 with that transmission into it.

After ripping out its engine and tran and swapping for the Toyota engine and trans(current engine is rusted out and would require much more work to salvage) I'd be looking at a 800 #er.

I would supercharge it, but give it a second intake with a simple valve and allow the pulley to release so I can turn the charger off with no massive pumping losses of pulling through a precooler, compressor and piping.

Windscreen is a must. I don't want to wear a helmet and I would like to avoid rocks that manage to notch my bumper destroying my face.

I'm kind of in favor of no body work other than that, simply because its cheap and easy. Aero is going to be a serious drag, and its FE should be pretty decent as should be able to cruise with virtually no fuel.

I've got a month or two before I'll have enough discretionary income to start and finish this project.

Engine trans and all components its going to run 800 bucks plus about 200 in shipping.

I'll need exhaust piping(might go custom and taking input), silencer, and engine components for increased output.

No need for cat, it will be running lean without the super and misted with.

Suggestions opinions?