View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Shortie771
Eco Sol

$600

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
If you're not very car savvy, a transmission swap is what you want to do, and even if you are car savy, I can't see why you'd bother unless you didn't want to lose acceleration off the line, but you'd still lose that anyway with the new FD ratio. If the transmission bolts to the engine, you're talking a day, maybe two, job versus much longer to take everything apart and I wouldn't be surprised if buying the parts separately costs more or close to a used transmission anyway. There's a reason most mechanics just swap them. It's not as simple as just cracking it open and changing out the gears. You should be able to get a fairly low mileage LS transmission for around $600, usually warrantied, from a wrecker (Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market).
True im not very car savvy but my brother has a friend who is a machanic that would be able to help me out if i needed it... Oh and two days? Thats fine i have all the time in the world and because im military i have full access to the garage on my base with just about any tool i may need. The bad part is sadly right now i dont have an extra $600 for the parts so maybe ill try out some easier less expensive ideas such as sealing panel gaps, installing a grill block, and work on perfecting P&G as i have yet to try that out. i guess ill just have to tackle this one another time when i have a litle more cash for the job.

Thanks
Andrew