View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zotz
EcoModding Lurker

33.5 mpg

I had a biz trip to St Pete last week and rented a Malibu LT with the 4cyl/6spd auto. (I wanted to try a new Fusion, but they were out.) Briefly, I was very surprised by the quality, practicality and MPG of the car.

Driving was 80% highway/20% city and I drove 65-70mph on the highway (which is slow in the Tampa area). I'm not a hypermiler (I simply try to beat EPA hwy), but drive gently. I reached 500 miles on the tank and 33.5 mpg, actual. (Trip computer indicated 37.5 and I don't know how much gas was lost by the previous renter getting to the airport(?)). Conditions: mostly alone, 80* avg, good Wx.

I worked in assembly line quality control (engineering) and the car appears to be put together very well. (JD Powers backs this up.) Underhood is tidy and well thought out - solid looking components. I really couldn't fault it in anything for a car in this price range. It really put the, "what more do you need in a sedan?" question in my mind.

I'd place the car as 'better' than the Camry on just about all counts and tie with the now bigger Accord (Honda lost direction, too. Opportunity lost!), which I really don't like. But, it really is splitting hairs at this point and I'd 'go American' as a tie breaker.

Rent a 4cyl *6spd* to try it out. (Still need to try a Fusion for a week...)

- Charlie