View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
ziddey
EcoModding Lurker

I've got a 1990 vw fox that originally had r12. I didn't get a chance to see the pressure remaining in the system, but it was low enough that the compressor no longer cycled on. I had the system evacuated and it held vacuum. Nothing was ever touched with the ac system. I didn't change any o-rings or the dryer, but just went straight to r134a. I made the mistake of only finger tightening the r134a retrofit valve and by next day, the system was empty. R134a was never that cold, especially at idle. Weak compressor..

I haven't paid attention to the retrofit valve. Is it just metal, or is there a plastic washer in there? Or is that part of the quick connect? Either way, I can't get the quick connect on there anymore, so I'm hoping it's not part of the retrofit valve (since it said that the valve has some sort of adhesive that would make removal "impossible" without breaking the original valve with it).

I'm going to get the system evacuated again.

So at this point, the system has seen r12 and whatever the original oil was as well as r134a and whatever oil that came with (pag I'm imagining). I'm still not going to change the o-rings / dryer (I know I know..). I just got a 12pack of hc12a, which I understand is the same as duracool. I'm a lazy bum, but I recall reading before that duracool/hc12a is an aziotrope? Is this right? It'd definitely suck to have it slow leak and then not be the right proportion anymore.

Does the hc12a bottle come with any oil? If not, what kind of oil should I be using, and how much of it? Is PAG ok? Or should I switch to ester after the evacuation?

Last time I paid a guy $40 to pull vacuum. But I figure maybe it's time to just purchase a vacuum pump. What's a good cheap one to get? I see a lot that are $100. any less than that? I've got harbor freights nearby and hear I should pick one up there.

I'm a big support of duracool based on everything I've read so far. Hopefully that won't change after I try it out. I'm really hoping that the bigger molecules would mean that the system will be problemfree for a long time, even with aged o-rings.

Let's hear some more about duracool