View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
Yes, get a new O2. You can get generic ones pretty cheap, just try to get one with the same number of wires for best results.

I've never rebuilt a transmission myself, but a friend of mine builds high performance ones and it's not as easy as just slipping gears on and off. Get a factory service manual if you want to go that route so you know all the tolerances, lash, etc. You'll also have to find out if the gears are compatible, though I would guess they are.
I've never rebuilt one either, although I've taken them apart and fixed pieces(by rebuilt I'm assuming replacing large chunks, for an engine replacing the pistons. . .?).

You'll need stable mounts to slide under your reinforced plate and to take apart half of the engine bay. If you go for a swap you just undo all the taking apart with the new trans. If you don't. . .you have to disassemble the trans housing, carefully take all the gears out and place them away from damaging particles(unless you want to thoroughly scrub them to remove all debris) and then swap the 5th gear and then rebuild.

Seriously, buy a trans with low miles off either a wrecked one or a retired one. The advantage is saves lots of time and if or when you break something on the trans you have a whole second set to grab parts from.

Also. . .the V-TEC does have more power, but changing the gear ratios is going to sacrifice some of the quickness for top end speed. There is no way around that. If you want taller gears you have to sacrifice quickness.

I have two del sols to play with and personally 1st gear is way too low and second is pretty short as well. Both of them being taller would definitely increase quickness because you have to shift out almost immediately after you stomp the gas(93 and 97 V-TEC). With taller bottom gears and top end it would only get quicker IME. Also replacing the trans won't make it non VTEC anymore. Its still going to have its variable lift timing but its got a better transmission now.

The larger 5th gear is not worth it. It won't be totally cheap because either you'll have to order it or rip it from another trans and then they are going to charge you because its useless now.