View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
So I got the Explorer on the street, got it safetied and tagged. Put about 400 miles on it during the week. As it sits, its getting a measely 15 combined. My tech friend thinks the catalytic is dead. It does have 191,000 miles under it and it looks original. It will be replaced.

My son picked it up today, drove it to see some friends (after being overseas for the lat two years), and then took it back to where he lives, Over 500 miles, and 16MPG. At least, it is rated average mileage. Not bad for a high mileage SUV. No plans to lift it, keeping it at original stock ride height. Since it doesn't leak, its next oil change will be with synthetic (on my nickel), and I already changed front and rear differentials with synthetic lubes and the transfer case too. After its got about 5,000 miles on the trans my son might swap the ATF fluid for synthetics, But it will get afilter change and some fluid swapped anyway.

I know an SUV isn't a popular vehicle here, but my son and his fiancee are pleased with the gift. I gave them both keys and the title. They are good kids, and the truck is a positive for them. Someplace for him to lock up and carry his construction tools, a 4x4 for camping, and bad weather, and enough HP to tow my tent trailer when they want it. We are hoping her parents pass the Subaru she currently drives over to them too. I've got some furniture for them as well for their future. Meantime, they are very happy, and as a parent, I'm very pleased.

A parent does what a parent can. This project is done. Next, the 4 cylinder 4x4 Ranger that I was getting 28MPG with a couple years ago before I took it off the street for safety issues.
ToddT58 (11-12-2015)