View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
hamsterpower
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
my 2 cents

I see a few choices for you. fix any other problems (o2 sensor...) and add a manifold pressure gauge for better feedback to technique. In my opinion this would be the best choice because it would save some gas and all of the fun factor of the car.
Next there is the full transmission swap from the integra LS (S80). This is the easiest and possibly the cheapest choice but I do not recommend it. I have this set up on my b16 powered civic and yes my mileage is better, yes the swap was done in one day, and yes I found the donor on ebay for $200. BUT, the fun is nearly gone, it drives just like it did with the original DX engine/transmission. And I still only average 30ish MPG. This is not a better transmission it just has different ratios. When I fix the bearing in the old transmission it is going back in. (sorry ecomodders)
If you have the budget the best balance of fun to eco may be a Integra GSR (Y80) transmission swap. This gives taller gears across the board but not as tall as the S80 set from the LS.
Finally the 5th/final gear swap into your S4C trans. This would be the most time consuming and expensive option unless you have free labor. but lots of people are happy with the results. It might be cheaper to just buy a disposable Kia to daily and keep the 'Sol for fun times. (no offense Kia owners)