View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ernie Rogers
Ernie Rogers

Consider a grasshopper, and dummies

Hello, Trik,

I had to answer your "signature" question-- what would a chair be like if your knees bent backwards-- Well, that's the way a grasshopper is constructed. The chair would be the same, but you would sit on it backwards.

Now about max pressure in winter tires. I have a possible explanation. Some dummies will leave their winter tires on all summer. What happens if the tire pressure is set when the temperature is 20 degrees, and then the tires are left that way into summer and 110 degrees? I'm sure somebody will check the summer pressure for us.

My personal experience. I run Michelin Energy tires very close to sidewall pressure and I have had two or three ply separations in them. It is undoubtedly a manufacturing problem, but might be an issue with other brands or more common in winter tires?

Ernie Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
My sidewall max pressure says 44psi, I am running 50 psi, with no problems yet ... I am also running Nitrogen in my tires to help curve the temperature variations since average mid day temp here is now closer to 90 degrees. The ride does rely more on your suspension now because the tire is much stiffer. But other than a slightly harder ride, which I already got use to I see no adverse effect.

In fact and as an aside, I also run 50 psi in my 4 runner now and recently had a blow out, as a result of debris, I saw no additional hazard to the extra PSI other than a bit more time to get over to the side before the tire went completely flat.