Thread: Diesel Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
theothersean
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb Diesel Advice

I am new to this site, but I wanted to share a plan I have for this summer, and get any advise that'll help.

First of all, after looking at several threads I noticed that I am ignorant to many of the terms everyone has been using. So, I ask that nobody use acronyms. I need terms that I can search for if I don't know the meaning.

Okay, I have been planning for a while to buy a lightweight car to put a small diesel engine in it with two turbochargers, and probably a manual transmission I could pull from some broken down car.
My goal is to take from the Opel Eco Speedster. I figured aerodynamics won't play a huge role because I won't be travelling at 150mph, so weight would be the most important thing, especially for city mpg. I had my eye on two Austin Healey bug eyed sprites that have been rusting into the ground in a storage place. The weight is almost exactly the same as the Eco Speedster.

What I need most input on is how to best reduce the weight, whether or not a smaller engine would be better for mpg (I still want plenty of power), and anything else I may be missing, or could otherwise help me.

Thanks a bunch!