View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
my carb has a brain

hey. would like a carb experts advice. I blew apart (literally) my old subes exhaust for the 37th time in 12 years. ok, I really do not know the number, but my carb sube is the animal.
I finally stepped up the axleback part to 2.25 inches, its been an up-and-over mystery for far to long now, I let it have some room. two inch straight mid, and two inch full chambered dynomax (the boxer rumble very mellow). I could not wait to get out on the highway and return to very high fuel mileage. To my dismay it went to 15mpg. I did not know this was possible for 1781cc, and no notice in power change or smoke. It is a feedback hitachi, and I reset it. I still smell it as rich near the new pipes, but normal out the back. What is going on? I have had to wait for the carb to synch in in the past, but pipes are different now, aluminized. Have I changed something in the feedback stuff with less electrical resistance? anyone any ideas? I haven't called this problem permanent, but would like it defined. I did take note after resetting battery, a few miles of chores with 1.5 gallons in tank went without guzzling (I kept it low thinking there may be a leak , and there isn't).