View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #64 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev59rag View Post
So whats wrong with his idea (see below)? Is it totally bogus that no one noticed it? or too good to be true? The only issue with this is its not smart... What if we can make it smart? What if, if we can add another simple device ($12) that will switch it off when it reached it desired voltage....?

its a dump controller. it knows when to dump the extra power when the battery is fully charge... I just tweaked it in such a way that it dumps the extra power to a relay switch, thus turning off the source power. Then if it detects that the desired voltage is low, then it will turn itself on again.

What say you?
I like the idea of a dump controller, the issue with the dumb charger I have built is that it is very inefficient, however if you can get the battery pack voltage near the mains nominal voltage its efficiency would jump dramatically aka around 120-144v nominal battery voltage. Also using that controller combined with a cap charger or a random transformer would probably make for good results and a much more efficient design.

Another issue with my dumb charger is safety, its not isolated but so long as the packs are hidden and you don't fool with the cars battery cable system while under charge I see no reason not to use it.

For now my dummy charger does its job nicely, charging small unusual voltage batteries, peaking off and trickle charging poorly performing batteries, being used in conjuction with other items to desulphate and the like.

My belief is that DIY devices should be as simple as possible but no simpler, too bad I don't have much electronics design know how

Cheers
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf1413.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	3519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf1415.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	3520