View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet47 View Post
Yea, your right, that makes sense. And turning a motor with a load is definitely harder than turning a motor without a load. I've never experienced this in a linear sense though... I guess the things I have used just are not robust enough for me to really sense the dampening.

On that note, in order to dampen a car, wouldn't you need some serious power coming out of this thing?
^_^ yes.

In my Tech physics 2 course we had access to a .5 gauss magnet( 1 gauss is the same electro-magnetic pull as the Earth's core) and a couple of coils. We of course had to empty our pockets of debit cards and electronics or it would ruin them. But the coil was a little shorter than extended suspension springs and you could definitely feel the EMF fighting back when you pushed it around(was a u shaped coil). You could also feel it stinging your fingers finding the path of least resistance.

I think the standard equipment running in a car would be enough to do proper dampening, but i'm not sure. IF it produces juice in an easy layout it would be worth it to get a deep cell, or another small wet-lead acid and let it bleed down to about 85% for the deep and let the constant rocking charge it up. You'd need to reset a battery charger not to kick on until 85% charge of the deep cell so you could ensure you had enough place to. . .power sink?(heat sink?)

Hopefully it would discharge to power the ignition and things while on smoother surfaces and then run everything independently and recharge the deep cell for the next smooth section.