View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

I might have the wrong scale. There are two. . .one is the Si convenient unit which is something in the form of kN of force, and the other is the one for practical everyday use(because its alot smaller, think like farads everything is really small compared to one farad.)

Obviously you wouldn't want to use a magnet that powerful, but the field drops off exponentially anyway. that magnet(it was the old magnet from a NMR scope) would only destroy your things if you were within arms reach. So even using one that powerful you would be fine so long as you don't change your tires or pressurize them. I'd recommend either somegood sized neodyns or a big block of those cheap ceramics and pack them close to the spring itself.

edit: the term I wanted was Tesla, The gauss is what physicists invented to get their labs to buy big ones("I want a 1 Tesla magnet and it costs 500K", president of college, "500K for 1 tesla. . .no" attempt 2 "I want a 3.5 million gauss magnet for 500K," "oh! 3.5 million gauss for 500K, thats a steal.")

Thats how the joke goes anyway.