View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
A couple thoughts (and I'm no Prius expert but I drive one and have spent alot of time at priuschat.com over the past 6 weeks soaking up as much info. as possible over there):

Common sense tells me,

1. I would want to know exactly what the warning light on the dash is indicating. Is it low tire pressure or is it a major engine/battery/electrical problem? The difference could be $50 or it could be $2000 (or much more). If possible, contact the owner and ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable putting a bid down.

2. The vehicle description leaves alot to be desired and really doesn't provide any mechanical info. It just says that they test drove it and the car worked...but it was not inspected by them or any independent party. Huge red flag if you can't go take the car for a drive or have a mechanic of your own inspect the vehicle prior to purchase. IMO, anyone that doesn't do a full inspection of a vehicle prior to purchase is asking for trouble (unless you are extremely wrench-smart or are just looking for a project car and have money to burn if/when something goes wrong or is already wrong).

3. The Prius, because of it's design, is fairly expensive when it comes to repair costs (more than the traditional vehicle). The entire car is pretty much run electronically and when that goes...the cost of repair is expensive.

Without inspecting the vehicle prior to purchase you are buying it blindly...it looks good but you have no idea what's inside. The reserve on the car was only $1000 so I am guessing you will get what you pay for...a great deal and a few headaches that will cost some money to repair. You still have a week until the end of the auction, plenty of time to go take a look at it if the owner will let you. If they don't let you inspect the vehicle or take it for a ride...I wouldn't touch it. On the other hand, if the price is right and you are willing to take on potential repair costs that come with a "mystery vehicle" then have at it!

From a mod point of view you can get into some of the same mods seen on this site that will slightly improve aero. Take a look at other Prius' on this site and see what they are up to. Personally, I only have higher PSI and grille block on my Prius so I don't have alot to offer in that department.

Last edited by Matt Herring; 05-21-2009 at 01:20 AM..