View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #59 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Zen in two ways.

Driving an automatic, its easy to have one hand on the cell phone, one on the coffee, and think about what you'll be doing at work.
Zenmileing has you totally in the moment, aware of your speed, your gear, all the gauges, the next 4 stop lights up the road, every other car around you, the exact right spot to cut the engine to coast exactly to the next stop.

All this was true too when I used to go literally twice as fast on the freeways than I do now, but the major difference is that now I am slow, calm, patient.
People zip around you. People cut you off. You will still get to where you are going. There is no rush.
A big sign to me that I am getting older is that now I drive for mileage instead of speed.

Long ago in a different life I got the letter from the DMV warning me that I was one point away from a suspended license.
That's why I found it so funny that I actually got pulled over for driving too _slow_.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?