View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
binarycortex
LurkoModding Ecker

new beetle - '98 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I don't have any specific data for that car.Like the Beetle,it is a quasi-fastback roofline,too steep for attached flow,so some sort of rear modification would be required to accomplish wake modeling and reduction.Other than the fact that there is no grille opening in the front,the car just doesn't have any remarkable attributes for a project car.If you like to lay under there and adjust valve lash every 3,000 miles and you happen to really like VW then go for it.W/O emission controls,these early engines are kind of an environmental liability.A Karmann Ghia might be a better starting point.About 18.5 square feet frontal area and Cd 0.39,and a much better roofline to, start with.Just my opinion.
Yes as a matter of fact I am a VW fanatic and I don't mind adjusting my valves. I would love a Ghia but I'm not sure I would fit in a Ghia cause i am 6'4" but I know I would fit in a fastback/squareback/notchback. This would not really be a project car for me, especially since I dont have the time or money to do much. Now if the fastback roof line is too steep for attached flow I could either use zig zag tape or go for a squareback and a mini kammback. But then again I could just go for the original beetle and pull an Ernie Rogers. I wonder if my new beetle would benefit from zig zag tape? Hmm...

Quote:
When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -Buckminster Fuller