View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #169 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Passenger side video mirror installation

Hi,

I unbolted the sail panel (after already having removed the paddle mirror):

I pulled the wire through the hole (I did have to widen the hole a little bit with my rotary tool, to fit the plugs through), and it is rebolted into place:

I cut a ~4" piece of light aluminum angle and bolted in place with a #10 stainless steel 3/4" long screw and locking nut (with the nylon insert):

Then I formed a (rough) airfoil shaped fairing out of two 5"x7" step flashing (trimmed and bent/folded) and what else -- tape!

And the first image I saw on the screen:

I'm hopefully going to get the second (driver side) unit installed tomorrow and stash the wires after I finalize the locations of the screens. The challenge is putting them where they won't interfere with the front or side air bags, and where I can see them well -- and in a way that avoids the reflection off of the windshield. I tried a shroud, but it needs to be pretty big to negate the problem. Maybe if I tilt them towards me at the top, then the angle will be out my sight?

The view in the screen is great -- it is very wide: I can see the side of the car to a point where the rear bumper of a car beside me is still visible when the car is actually ahead of me!

My hope is to foam inside the fairing and then remove the aluminum, and then shape and paint the foam. I'll keep you posted!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 05-24-2009 at 11:22 PM..