View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
Define easy... I guess it depends on your mechanical ability. I could do it, I have a 4 banger Ranger apart with the cab sitting in my garage and the motor in my shed.

Everything should be mostly bolt in. If you could find a pedal assembly from a manual tranny ZJ in a junkyard, you'll need the pedals and the mounting braces. Plus the manual tranny. If you are swapping just the transfer case, get the case and the shifter as well as the console bezel so you will know what mode you are using. Honestly, for the ZJ check out http://www.nagca.com for most anything ZJ mechanically related. If you don't want or care for the Fulltime option, the NV231 is a more stout transfer case, and those are found in most of the Cherokees after 1987. Just being able to drive it in 2WD is a bonus. Argh... I forgot you have the V8. You might need to look for a 5 speed from a fullsize Ram or Dakota since the inline 6 bellhousings are different from the V8.

Oh, the 96 and later might have some issues with the computer. Since there wasn't a manual with the V8 (why not?), the ECM will be looking for the TCM (trans controller) information and will likely through a code. Thank you OBDII.

And just one more bit of Jeep info, for those that might have a Cherokee with the automatic, it is different than the one in the Grand Cherokee. There IS a kit available that allows you to shift it manually (electrically), so you can hold whatever gear you want. Again though, the OBDII 96 and newer will throw Check Engine Light and codes, but still function.

Last edited by zjrog; 02-20-2008 at 10:00 AM..