View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

You've got two options that aren't. . .terrible as far as difficulty and cost.

I'm not familiar with the paseo itself.

What you could do to rather heavily increase cooling would be to add an oil cooler. If the paseo has the bolts(like extra dran bolts) either on the block, or the oil pan this is guaranteed your best option. If it doesn't. . .then its more complicated. Either way you'll need another small oil pump to make sure you don't starve the motor for oil in the extra tubing you will also either way want more oil because the lag time between oil drain and being pumped back into the engine now is a good bit longer.

If it doesn't have the handy dandy oil cooler bolt holes you'll need to find your oil pump and direct the flow through a radiator(wherever you like near the tire might be bad for it bottom mounted right above and behind the lower lip of your front bumper would be an alright place or if you wanted to look like a tuner you could cut out your fender and mount it there lol). You then want to put the other pump on the other side of the radiator to return the oil flow back to its original piping and the engine.

If you go with a second coolant radiator its much easier because you have feed lines and return lines that are easily accessible. More or less you do the same thing as the oil cooler.

If I were you I'd go with the oil cooler(I'd pull the grill blocks but thats not an option for you ^_^). The reason is. . .your radiator is dissipating a ton of heat. The only way to make it perform better would be to add a higher flow pump from the resevoir and pump it through another large radiator(I again I would avoid getting too close to the tire because its going to cause one tire to have a much higher pressure if its only a few inches away. . .)

If you are worried about the transmission getting to hot its alot easier to add a cooler for that. It has a fill bolt hole and a drain that are unused. On your next transmission fluid change slide some tubing and screw them into those bolt holes small pump radiator and return line goes to the fill bolt. Of course you want to add oil directly into the radiator to fill it and then add whatever it takes to fill your trans.

The oil cooler(s) would provide the most cooling. Your oil is hot and sits in the oil pan which has very little surface area for the volume of heat trapped. It is also connected to the engine casing in a metal box. If you went with oil coolers for the transmission and engine I doubt your fan would come on while moving. But. . .you would have to pay for the 2 small pumps, but you won't be running your engine up to such high temps reducing its lifetime.

Another added bonus is your engine has a larger supply of oil to muck up or leak out ^_^.