View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
slurryguy
EcoModding Lurker

Testing is a VERY appropriate discussion.

However, I had the impression that Paul's efforts are intended for this to be a Do-It-Yourself project. Creating a microprocessor controlled unit tester seems more appropriate for someone looking to start production of the controller.

I personally have no problem with someone starting a controller business. Go for it. Everyone should keep in mind that the project just jumped from DIY to commercial product when that decision is made.

I would be extremely interested in an appropriate testing methodology for a DIY builder. What sections of the controller could be tested seperately and how? It would be nice for someone that does not have Electrical Engineering background to be able to test most of their home built controller long before ever inserting it into a car.

It would also be nice if there were a testing procedure that would help prevent a DIY builder from incinerating a pile of expensive parts simply because they got one connection wrong while building it. An appropriate DIY testing flow chart would test things such that a builder could insert the expensive components last, and with confidence that they were not going to give off smoke signals.

Automated Unit testing sounds interesting, feel free to discuss it, but let's discuss practical DIY testing also.